Here is a couple of songs that I just so happened to stumble upon, or somehow circled back into my listening rotation recently and are definitely worth checking out.
With the year winding up and everyone getting their two cents in about who did it the best, it is only right that we here at American Appetite get our swings in. Taking a look at the music that was put out this year we have compiled a list of the Top 50 songs from this past year. A brief caveat, I completely understand there are some glowing omissions from the list (Beyonce, David Bowie, Solange, etc.), well truth be told they don’t get much airplay over here. I never said we were an equal musical opportunity provider, we do skew a bit more to the indie/alternative/rock area so that’s why it may be a little heavy on that. Also the ranking is purely suspect at this point because you could really shuffle them around and I’d still be content. So without further ado, here is the Top 50 songs of 2016 courtesy of American Appetite.
**You can also find all of these on my special play list on Spotify: American Appetite Top 50 of 2016**
50. Cymbals Eat Guitars- Have a Heart
49. Pity Sex- What Might Soothe You?
48. Vince Staples- Prima Donna
47. The Lumineers- Ophelia
46. Parquet Courts- Berlin Got Blurry
45. Joyce Manor- Over Before it Began
44. Whitney- Golden Days
43. Moose Blood- Knuckles
42. Pinegrove- Cadmium
41. Greater Pyrenees- Homemade Blood
40. Conor Oberst- Tachycardia
39. You Blew It!- Autotheology
38. John K Samson- Alpha Adept
37. The xx- On Hold
36. Jeff Rosenstock– Blast Damage Days
35. Frankie Cosmos- Fool
34. Brand New- Brother’s Song
33. Somos- Alright, I’ll Wait
32. Kendrick Lamar- Untitled 2
31. Angel Olsen- Shut Up Kiss Me
30. Vinnie Caruana- Survivor’s Guilt
29. Eskimeaux- Drunk
28. American Football- Desire Gets in the Way
27. Joseph- White Flag
26. Tiny Moving Parts- Birdhouse
25. The Avalanches– Because I’m Me
24. The So So Glos- Dancing Industry
23. DIIV- Under the Sun
22. Blink-182- She’s Out of Her Mind
21. Crying- Wool in the Wash
20. Bon Iver- 22 (Over Soon)
19. Sl∅tface- Sponge State
18. Chris Farren- Say U Want Me
17. Kanye West- Real Friends
16. Rubblebucket- If U C My Enemies
15. Kings of Leon- Waste a Moment
14. The Hotelier- Soft Animal
13. Radiohead- True Love Waits
12. Pup- DVP
11. Nada Surf- New Bird
10. Chance The Rapper- Same Drugs
9. The 1975- The Sound
8. Japandroids- Near to the Wild Heart of Life
7. Car Seat Headrest- Drunk Drivers/Killer Whales
6. Cloud Nothings- Modern Act
5. White Lung- Below
4. Kevin Devine- No History
3. Mitski- Your Best American Girl
2. Modern Baseball- Apple Cider, I Don’t Mind
1. A Tribe Called Quest- We the People…
So there you have it folks, 2016 in a nutshell, well atleast to these ears. Bring on 2017!
The Hold Steady: Stuck Between Stations
With the Minnesotan boys laying up residency in Brooklyn Bowl this weekend it is only apt that while I am visiting the milieu that dots the landscape of their discography, that I kick off the weekend rright with one of their killer jams. Stuck Between Stations from the first riff is pulsing and potent, zapping your ears with an explosion of energy that never ceases until the amp is turned off. So grab yourself a double whiskey coke no ice, drink and dry up and crumble into dust.
Greater Pyrenees: Homemade Blood
While it may lack the pomp and bombast of most other Weekend Warrior cuts, Homemade Blood has that unmistakable driving beat that gets your engine running and propels you out into a night of wonderment. The first non “family” release on Brand New’s own Procrastinate! Music Traitors label, Greater Pyrenees really deliver a good rhythmic motor, which is exactly what you need to keep you chugging along through a good weekend.
Passion Pit: Make Light
Those synthesizer masters from Boston really get things pumped up on this cut from their second album. A bright pulsating beat really gets you amped up for the oncoming night. So grab a drink, grab some friends, and make some light!
DJ Khaled: We Takin’ Over (ft. Akon, T.I., Rick Ross, Fat Joe, Baby & Lil Wayne)
In honor of the birth/record drop of DJ Khaled this week I felt it was perfect to unleash one of the most electrifying songs in the past 20 years. Get together 5 of the hottest rappers in the game and throw Akon on the hook in a DJ Khaled jam and the moon is too close for where your night can take off when you get this joint bumping. Uhoh here comes another college pre-game flashback, I swore these would stop one day. Another one….
The Go! Team : Huddle Formation
I am going to start posting more high energy songs to get you over the top to get the party started if you are dangling on that edge and just need a push. In full disclosure this may act as an outlet for any new or old songs that just become stuck in my head and can’t get out. With that being said let’s start off with a little bit of an old pump up song that always works for me.
M83 : Midnight City